Monday, October 20, 2014

My New Red Desk!

Ok, so this took me WAY too long, but I finally got around to finishing my red desk! I was looking for something to put into our loft to make it look more "finished" and I was having the worst time.

I went to Pinterest and started looking at desks. These are my inspiration. But they were expensive.

So I went to my old faithful. Summer yard sales and started shopping. I started with this great desk:



I found it at a home where I'm still regretting not getting the awesome dressing table I found, but that's for a whole other day.

It took a few months, but I finally found time to work on it as it got a little warmer. By work on it I mean prime it and let it sit on a table in our workshop.


I like to hand paint primer even though I am an avid spay painter. I've done a few pieces with a brush or roller, but as I am sooo not a professional it never comes out right. 

Spray paint works for me once you get a great coat of primer down. I also use a finishing gloss to add shine and protection. 

While I try my best to wait between coats, I usually only give it about an hour or so to dry. With the finishing coats you can do thin ones pretty close together. I say use the manufacture instructions as they know best.




But as the weather got cooler and I lost prime spray painting time I decided to get it moving, and after a couple cans of red paint it was finished!

Here is a look at the finial project:


I have a post coming later about the chair. It's most likely to be called "Don't Spray Paint in the Cold"

I'm so happy with how it turned out, and while it's mostly a show piece I love how functional it looks and the gold and red work really nice together.

Love,
The Budget Home Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment